It is less than two months until christmas, and now is the perfect time to make some homemade christmas gifts.
This summer I tasted some delicious onion salt from a friend of mine, and I absolutely LOVED it! So I made a batch and I sprinkle it on almost everything I eat! It is perfect on eggs, pasta, potatoes, EVERYTHING, even popcorn! And it is great to give away as gifts.
Now I have made a recipe for you to try out. You can adjust it like you want. You can for example make it with celery, or fresh herbs like thyme, oregano, basil and cilantro, you can also add rocket and pepper/chili.
The house will smell a bit like onion while making it, so be sure to keep the fan on and air out once in a while.
This recipe gives two baking trays. That you can dry in the oven at the same time.
For this recipe you will need:
- 2 medium onions
- 7 tbs chopped chives
- 3 dl sea salt (large grains)
- 2 garlic cloves
Make your own tasty seasoning salt with chives, garlic and onion!
1. Chop the onions, chives, garlic into small pieces.
2. Use a kitchen machine to chop them into smaller pieces. Mix in the salt. Since the onion contains a lot of water it will turn into a paste, but don`t worry, it will dry!
3. Put baking paper on two baking trays and spread the paste on these in a thin layer. Put the trays in the oven, and set the temperature on 50°C, with the door slightly open. Use the fan setting on the oven.
4. Let the mixture dry completely. It may take a couple of days depending if you let the oven stay on the whole time. It is good to know that the oven heat doesn`t have to be on all time while making this - so you can turn the heat of if you have to leave the house, or when you are sleeping.
Written by Lena Isaksen, 01.11.17
6. Now pour the salt into a blender, or a kitchen machine to grind it into smaller pieces.
7. Store the salt on airtight containers, and enjoy!
5. Make sure that the onion salt is completely dry. It is better to dry them for a couple of hours longer than you think.
Tips: Add a label and write what it contains if you are giving it away as presents.
Also, I would love it if you use the #lessismorediy if you make this recipe and share it on instagram.